Millennials travel behaviour clearly shows: New solutions and digital travel experience innovation is needed to successfully involve Millennials into traveling.
Get to know how digital Storytelling, User-generated content and Gamification boost digital travel marketing.
Digital travel marketing has to consider that Millennials have become the largest group of buyers in the market and consider themselves as the new digital heroes.
Digital travel marketing has to consider that Millennials using the internet are in fact the first generation, who has access to every piece of existing information. If knowledge is the power to realize yourself in the best possible way, then Millennials are the true heroes of a digital age!
But how can travel experiences engage and evolve Millennials? How can Millennials experience the travel as a hero’s journey? And share the experiences of that travel hero’s journey?
84% of Millennials say that User-generated content influences their buying decisions
1ST Millennials behaviour that influences travel business: Storytelling
As described above travelling marketing has to offer Millennials an extraordinary experience. Which in fact has to be part of the very individual Millennials heroes adventure travel experience. The adventures, which travel destination and hotels offer can be a part of the Millennials hero’s journey.
- Simply by involving Millennials as the main characters of that event and travel experience
- And by giving Millennials simple patterns to last but not least tell their own and very individual story about the travel experience
The most important thing is, that it is not the travel destination that is the focus, but the travel experiences of Millennials itself!
This is the deeper meaning of successful travel storytelling: The travel destination, event or activity is only a tool or framework, which serves only the experience of the travellers.
But why should a travel destination put so much effort into influencing and generating travellers experiences by not promoting the travel destination?
2ND Millennials behaviour that influences travel business: User-Generated Content
My experience as a CCO has shown that there is one simple thing you want to achieve in digital mobile marketing: Digital word-of-mouth recommendation! By the way, this has always been marketings favourite. But Why? Simply because it is the fundamental basis of a sales funnels in the digital communication age. But Why? Simply because the human need is to build trust before purchasing.
- In a digitalised communication via the web, you actually know everybody.
- But honestly, do you really know the buddy on facebook? No.
- That’s the main reason why in business building Trust has become even more important than before the digital age
And yes, you best build Trust for your business with word-of-mouth recommendation. In a digital age, the experience of word-of-mouth recommendation is called User-generated content or simply UGC. Also known as influencer marketing.
As a successful digital travel business CMO you need this fundamental marketing innovation:
- First of all, you want your travelers to become the heroes of your travel experience
- Always remembering: It’s not about the travel destination but the travelers experience
- And secondly, you want Millennials to share this awesome experience of a hero’s travel adventure in social media
- Think of it as a digital hero’s tale that continues to be told in the social media to inspire other potential travellers for your travel destination
But How can you engage Millennials to participate and share the travel experiences in relation to your travel business destination?
Over 75% of people are gamers!
3RD Millennials behaviour that influences travel business: Gamification
Travel social media gamification uses game mechanics in a travel experience context.
Millennials have become the largest group of buyers in the market and consider themselves as the new digital heroes. One reason for this is that Millennials grew up with playing games. By playing games Millennials discovered in an intrinsic way new possibilities of self-experience and self-realization.
Playing a game and becoming the hero of a game is much more immersive than watching an exciting movie! In terms of digital travel marketing, this is another claim that millennials are considered heroes.
Did you ever hear of social media gamification? This is the best way to give Millennials a framework to better engage into the travel experience. Doing this by using game mechanics in a non-game context. Meaning travel social media gamification uses game mechanics in a travel experience context.
Social media gamification engages travelers
- to interact with the travel destination hero’s journey experience pattern. Which is Storytelling (1st Pillar)
- to share this experience in social media in the form of digital word-of-mouth recommendation. Which is User-generated content (2nd Pillar)
CONCLUSION for successful digital travel marketing engaging Millennials
In digital business travel marketing it’s all about creating awareness, engagement and interactions with the travel destination.
My experience as a CCO shows that the best way to create this travel experience is to engage Millennials with Gamification. The real innovation in contemporary digital travel marketing is to engage Millennials to take the lead. Doing this by creating their own travel stories and experiences (content).
Which quite corresponds to a digital hero. And resulting in highly effective and innovative new digital travel marketing. Which is the basis for travel business success.
- Building trust with digital word-of-mouth recommendation has become essential for every travel business. It’s about User-generated content social media marketing (UGC)
- And digital travel marketing depends basically on building trust and creating travel destination awareness & engagement
Until Next Time…
Your New Digital Concept Team