How Mercedes boosts ROI with Influencer marketing and brand awareness. Creating successful Instagram User-generated content marketing UGC campaigns
Have you heard of the Italian Renaissance Family called: The Medici?
The Medici supported and encouraged artists and scientists. While promoting their business with innovation from this art and science. They were tremendously successful. Next to the german Fugger they were decisive for the development of Europe. You surely can call them the Builders of modern Europe.
But is there a comparison between the way the Medici promoted their business – and the digital way how a brand promotes its business??
Yes there is. The Medici mechanic of promotion through fine art and science is based on creating AWARENESS. It was all about Awareness for the Medici (brand) amongst the population and rulers of Florence. And closely related to this: The Medici´s business interests.
Is it possible to adapt the Medici Awareness Mechanic from the 15th century, the Renaissance for the needs of a digital age?
Definitely! Take the awareness mechanics the Medici used to create “Medici brand” awareness in Florence. And compare it with contemporary mechanics how to create brand awareness in social media. There are many related connections and social media has become a very powerful way for a business to create this awareness!
Good social media is authentic. What makes social media work is actually having something to say.
If the Medici lived today, they surely would take advantage of social media and most of all of UGC User-generated content social media campaigns to promote their business.
They would surely consider the power of UGC User-generated content marketing strategies to create Medici (brand) awareness, which they back then needed to survive.
But as bankers the Medici would ask: Where the hell is the ROI. What is the advantage of a UGC User-generated social media campaign for my business? How does it pay off? What’s at the bottom line? What’s the ROI?
I want to give you a contemporary example from Mercedes Benz. Mercedes certainly did ask the same Medici question of how to create brand awareness in a digital age to increase ROI.
How Mercedes Successfully Built Brand Awareness With A UGC User-Generated Content Influencer Marketing Campaign On Instagram
Mercedes inspired 5 Instagram photographers to hit the road with a brand new Mercedes Benz. Aiming to shoot pics during their journey. The one who gets the most likes can keep the Mercedes. And people can easily follow their journey on Instagram and win a Mercedes themselves.
→ As you can see this UGC User-generated content campaign had 5 Main Influencer, the photographers.
→ And users were involved to share these photos and create content by their own. Which was the main viral part of the UGC User-generated content strategy.
The Results Were Simply Amazing. Mercedes Got
- 2,000,000 Instagram Likes
- 87,000,000 Organic Instagram Impressions
- BUT: How many cars did Mercedes actually sell with this Marketing campaign?
- NONE! In the contrary they gave away 2 Mercedes with a value of over 60 thousand pounds!
We ask Lorenzo de Medici: “Why did Mercedes do this? Why did they put such a great effort into this marketing campaign? They didn’t sell a single Mercedes with it!”
Lorenzo de Medici answers: “It’s all about Awareness. With this UGC User-generated content social media campaign Mercedes did the one thing, which made the business become a BIG business: They created Awareness around the brand. Awareness actually is more valuable than the single car sales. The ROI was created indirectly … the brand awareness at last multiplied car sales by a multiple .. You are asking how it pays off and what’s at the bottom line? .. At the bottom line it’s always Awareness. Awareness creates big business. Awareness was the secret sauce of our Medici Dynasty”
- That is basically the secret Success formula of the Medici Family and at the same time the secret Success formula of modern social media marketing: → Brand Awareness creates ROI.
- Lorenzo de Medici would have said: The brand awareness, which Mercedes created was selling without selling. And this is exactly the very versatile power of digital word-of-mouth recommendation.
Conclusion On How To Best Evaluate The ROI Of A UGC User-Generated Content Marketing Campaign
41% of consumers only need to see between 1 and 4 UGC reviews in order to be influenced to purchase.
- Take for your consideration that UGC User-generated content, the brand talk about and personal recommendations creates the big ROI.
- In a digital age, just as in the Medici Renaissance, brand awareness creates the better ROI.
- In a digital age best ROI is built by trust and brand awareness. Trust and brand awareness can be best built with UGC User-generated content marketing campaigns.
- Every single content peace, which is created by your users, helps you increase trust and brand awareness. And finally boosts your ROI. As shown in the Mercedes social media UGC campaign.
- Are you a Medici E-Commerce Merchant? How about investing into 10 T-Shirts instead of 2 Mercedes to increase your brand awareness?
If you have questions about how to apply interactive storytelling and User-generated content to your social media channels →
→ I’ll give you a one-hour free coaching session to show you how to implement this in your social media.
Until Next Time…
Your New Digital Concept Team